Friday, July 31, 2009
Apple has just released a software update for the iPhone 3G and 3GS. Firmware 3.0.1 (7A400) is available for download through iTunes (make sure your iTunes is up-to-date).
Do NOT update to this software if your iPhone is jailbroken. Wait for a news update from the Dev-Team (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/).
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
The issue I want to discuss here is the malfunctioning GPS on the iPhone 3GS running 3.0 software.
If your GPS does not seem to locate your position (the blue dot is either not pulsing or the radius never 'shrinks') try:
- turning off your 3G (this can be done in the Settings preferences) making sure that your WiFi remains ON (even if you are not connected to a WiFi network).
- go back to the Maps app and try the locate button. If this does not work reboot your phone. Return to Maps and GPS should now be able to locate you.
If the issue does not resolve try resetting your Network Preferences. To do this:
- go to: Settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset Network Settings
- now reboot your iPhone.
Finally, if all this fails you may have to:
- restore your iPhone to the original iPhone 3.0 software.
- after you do this check that the GPS function work BEFORE you go on to restoring/syncing your iPhone with iTunes.
After installing iTypeFastR (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4605) on my iPhone the Skype application stopped working. It took me a while to realize this correlation. Hope this saves you a few hours. Skype (at least this was the case with my iPhone) will not work when iTypeFastR (the iPhone 3.0 compatible version) is installed. Skype simply crashes when you try to press the call button -- uninstalling iTypeFastR solved the issue.
This is the case both when using VoIPover3G (version 1.1) or the new 3G Unrestricted.